Old 06-21-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Originally Posted by Rainman1 View Post
Hey gang,
Since I got sober (May 6 was last drink) I've gone on 3 business trips, I've had someone with me who knew I wasn't drinking and why. On this trip I brought my wife, we left town Sat, flew into Detroit and got to visit with my Dad and family for a bit, Sunday we drove to Cleveland for my work. Anyway we were suppose to fly back home tonight but things didn't work out and I have to stay another day or two. Because of change fees and such we couldn't afford for her to stay. Now I'm here by myself, the old me says go ahead you can drink, no one will know. The new me is telling the old me "no we're not going to drink" I'm really proud of myself for saying no, but why am I sitting up here in my room with tears just flowing. I'm a 58 year old man WTF
My heart aches for you and for that familiar pain. This is hard Rainman. If it was easy none of us would be here. You are mourning the loss of a habit that was numbing, a habit that most likely made life seem better temporarily and perhaps a habit that was fun for a while. Now we have to learn how to live life in a different way and that takes a lot of guts, time and a complete rewiring of our brain and body! Give yourself huge props for saying NO. For hanging in there and not giving into temptation when it was so easy to do so. I am proud of you- please let us know how you are feeling today!