View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 01:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Shitzupuppy
Maladaptive

UPDATE

Good morning, I haven't posted over here in a while, so I thought I'd give an update--
Today marks 8 weeks sober for me!

Once I made the mental decisions to stop, it's been more or less "easy". My wife keeps telling me how proud and happy she is. If my AV starts talking, we both tell it no. Thankfully, I didn't have any physical withdrawal symptoms. So that made it easier for me. I just had to screw my head on right.
Thanks SR! I come here and read stories and stay motivated everyday. I wish I could tell newbies just how good it feels. Stick with it, ride it out.
It's worth it!

Originally Posted by Shitzupuppy View Post
Woke up and was mentally exhausted from the daily drinking. The lies to my spouse, shame, lying to myself, broken promises, being hungover, dark circles under my eyes, bloated, worrying about my health. Hiding from neighbors. Being an angry person when i drank.

I wasn't enjoying the drinking. I just was on autopilot everyday.

tired of it all.

Googled "what to do for fun without drinking" 4 weeks and 2 days ago. Found out about this site and RR/AVRT. 4 weeks ago, I began this stage of my life. (April 25, 2017)

Both sites have changed my life. I was in the right mental space, and the thought of telling my Addictive Voice "no" and having a site to learn and participate rang true with me.

I have had non-alcoholic beer three times, I think, when out. I know it could cause relapse, and will keep that in mind. I suppose I will taper it off but right now, I drink cranberry/sparkling water all day. So if I go out, I like to have something different. Maybe I will start drinking diet soda. (Yuk).

Thank you all for being part of my recovery. It has been really nice to be part of this site.

I look better, feel better, feel happy and confident. My spouse is happy and proud of me. Have had lots of fun. Don't feel like I'm missing the fun in life. Told 1 friend the truth. Everyone else thinks we're dieting.

It is the best decision I've made in a long time.

Thank you all. I will keep updating this post over time.