Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
argillaceous

Just catching up on the most recent few pages of the thread...

Thanks for your thoughts about my dog, Sao. It's true that we were lucky to have him live past his life expectancy. We feel fortunate.

STD, yes, I need to take comfort in that he has had a good, long life. I know of a lot of greyhounds that have died much earlier (usually due to cancer). When our guy had adenocarcinoma of the stomach, we weren't sure—even after surgery—how much longer we'd have him. But it's been an extra 2 fabulous years of his joy and companionship.

Purplrks, thanks for your thoughts...greyhounds are great! They don't require as much exercise as most people think, just need to keep them on leash lest they spot a rabbit or squirrel...

Oh, LadyBlue! My heart goes out to you. I am only beginning to understand how difficult these decisions are. It sounds like you made the right call, but to have to make that decision in the moment must have been heartwrenching. You, too, are in my thoughts. Sending you an infinity + 1 supply of virtual hugs.

Gilmer, thanks for the hug. : )

BixBees, Your words about how losing beloved furry animal friends "hits a soft underbelly on us - undefended territory" are so true. I had never thought about it like that, but that is exactly how it feels.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support. This week will be our last with him; I'm going to spend time writing every day as a way to help try to prepare myself just a little for when the time comes for us help him over to the bridge on Saturday (we found a vet who will come to our home).

I wrote a piece tonight and posted in Newcomer's. If anyone is interested in reading, it is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...gratitude.html

Thanks Weekenders, for everything.