View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

I grew up with my family's religion of choice.

For me it was part of what created my co-dependent behaviors. I left organized religion as soon as I could and thought I spent some time searching over the next half of my life it was not a big piece of my journey.

Al-anon, open AA, a great therapist and some meditatione have helped me to not only come to terms with my childhood cornerstone of religion, but also a spiritual practice that works for me know. This was a big learning for me of "Take what you like and leave the rest."

I live in a conservative/traditional area. All of the Al-Anon meetings close with the Lord's Prayer. I struggled with this for some time, but after talking about it in the meetings, business meetings and with my therapist it was my reaction to my old stuff that I had to work through.

Step 4-12 have been easier for me, but Step work around 1, 2, and 3 remains challenging......but I am so grateful for the fact that 12 step work helped me to get centered on my own well-being.

Now I find my spirituality supportive of me and my journey. It previously really only brought shame.