View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aliciagr

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
My wife and I used a counseling team from our church we attended years ago. It was more financial than anything. It was two older couples from our church who we knew really well. We all worked as a team. In our situation it worked out great. There were two men and two ladies, so there was no taking sides on issues (as so often happens with just one counselor.... had a bad experience!)
Thank you for sharing this experience. I have never heard of a counseling team like that but I like the idea a lot. My parents actually suggested the idea of counseling from our church, and I think it might be helpful. We had used a family therapy/marriage counselor before and it was good, but we moved and hadnt dealt with everything at that point. Its tricky finding a good therapist. Often it does become one sided, and sometimes I think one partner goes into it thinking they will just get the therapist on their side and then together come down on the other partner. Thats not going to allow anyone the freedom to be vulnerable, open, honest which is what the whole process is about in my opinion. I like the team approach and have no idea if its common practice but I will find out. I know for sure we have long term married couples at church and some have church positions like that of a deacon, I could feel comfortable with this approach. Thanks again.