View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mpie9

Thank you for this post. I go to Al Anon and have been to AA meetings where people attend are from MANY different religious backgrounds and it's all about defining what God is to you. It's not a church, nor a cult - which I've heard people call it. So what do you want to call your higher power? Nature? The universe?

I actually had a crazy year this year where I genuinely felt there was a higher power. I felt like a higher power created a path for me, obstacles and all for A REASON. There were silver linings. Around the same time, I have been practicing meditation, which I consider my prayer time where I am connecting with the universe and grounding myself, realigning and reconnecting. I clear my head and listen. I feel as a "recovering" codependent and someone prone to anxiety and depression, it has helped to have this practice where I take my hands off the wheel. I've held that wheel so tightly in the past. It also has helped through prayer/meditation to forget what I think I need and to pray for what is the highest good for all, focus on what's thriving in my life, and viewing obstacles as detours in the right direction. This has all helped me through my break up, especially on the really bad days, like today!

I was raised in the church, but when my dad moved out, I didn't go to church anymore. I am open to it now, but I find this daily practice more helpful.