Old 06-15-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Containment and Moderation - not the same thing

We have frequent discussions about moderation on this board, with most of us agreeing that moderation is a fool's gambit for an alcoholic.

It occurred to me, though, that I went through a phase after my moderation phase, but before I was ready to give it up all together. I'm calling this my 'containment' phase.

It worked like this - I would establish physical limits to contain the damage my drinking was causing, and then drink as much as I want. There was no I'm just going to have 3 and then stop like everyone else like in my moderation phase. This was I'm going to get blackout drunk, but I am going to do it in a manner that reduces the harm it causes.

I would hand over my wallet and keys to my wife so I couldn't drink and drive (or even walk to the store). I would lock myself in the guest bedroom so I wouldn't embarrass my family with my stupefied roaming through the house. I had it all worked out.

Strangely, as I was going through this phase, I still thought of it as moderation. In retrospect it is shocking to realize just how breathtakingly bad my decision-making had become.

If moderation isn't working for you, don't move to containment. Move to sobriety. It's so much easier!