Old 06-15-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik
saoutchik

Long Days Long Nights We Can Stay Sober Weekender 16-18 June

My shaky mathmatics informs me that I have lived through about 2000 weekends since adulthood. 2000! That's a lot of weekends.

Folks with a healthy relationship with alcohol would not be able to recall much of the active and varied activities they did on their weekends but as an alcoholic I know exactly what I did with many of mine.

I finished work, I drank, I drank some more, I fell asleep (blacked out), I woke up, suffered, did little, started drinking again, rinse repeat until Monday morning.

On this site we have that thing - illness, disease , affliction, call it what you will - that means we crave drugs or alcohol. It is just a malfunction in a part of our brain, we WANT drugs or alcohol but we don't NEED it and once you can really get your head around the fact that cravings are just a bit of broken neurology it does make them easier to dismiss.

SR member and fellow Weekender Nonsensical has a much more succinct way of describing it "don't believe everything you think"

The weekend can be a very difficult time to stay drug and booze free but on this thread we help each other to get through it and just as importantly try to have a good time doing so.

It may be that you have not yet been able to stop alternatively you might have over a decade of sobriety, you might be young you might be old no matter. All are welcome, you only have to want to live sober.

In my hemisphere the daylight hours are at their longest, in the other hemisphere you have the longest nights, either way let's make the most of them!