View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 12:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
VigilanceNow

Hi Tankers, and congratulations on day 35!

I would be v interested to see what the others will say, but for me I see no reason why you shouldn't talk to your wife about how she feels about your sobriety. It's very possible that someone told her/she read somewhere that she should not get too involved in your journey unless you request it. I believe that's the suggestion from many sources regarding spouses of alcoholics.

The reality, however, is that every situation is different. If you want her to be more involved, go ahead and ask her how it is affecting her; I'm sure she would have a lot to say. For myself, I don't isolate from friends who drink, and they drink in front of me [usually] in moderation. If I've had enough and feel tempted, I excuse myself. I know that I can't go my whole life avoiding being around people who drink; but I can limit the time I spend around them within my own boundaries. Your wife might be more amenable to modifying her consumption if she knows it would be beneficial to you. At the same time, I personally (and it seems you are the same way) make it clear to those close to me that they should not feel that they need to change their own behavior because of my problem.

So see where she stands on what you're doing and how it is affecting her. I'm sure she is proud of you! Good luck and keep us posted :-)