View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jerect
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by AngieMay View Post
He spends all the money he earns on coke aswell as lying and hiding the drug use from me. Ive gone from a caring girlfriend to someone who has to manage his social medias and bank so prevent the use. He claims im controlling but as soon and he is given those things back he almost immediately goes to get high.

Thanks.
Sweetie, you are not the manager of your boyfriend's social media or bank account. You trying to control his use is not going to work. The only thing it is going to do is drive you nuts. Your boyfriend will continue to use with or without your "prevention". They have many ways of getting drugs and no matter how much you love them and how hard you try, you are not going to stop his addiction. It's bigger than the both of you.

What you can do is take care of yourself. When your boyfriend disappears for days and then comes back, don't answer his calls or texts. Create a space for yourself that is separate from the addict. Create some boundaries for yourself that will protect you and your sanity. Don't give him money, don't buy into his bs excuses and don't try to control him.

It's almost impossible for an addict to love someone else because they do not love themselves, the drug of choice is their partner and they will let nothing stand in the way of themselves and their DOC.

I 'm not going to tell you to leave or stay because that decision is totally up to you but I will suggest finding an Al-Anon meeting to meet people face to face who are dealing with the same things you are dealing with. It won't give you some magic tool to help your addict but it will give you the tools to help yourself.

Please keep posting and sharing, you will find a lot of wisdom and strength here.