View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
The Worst Illness of All
Alcoholism and Substance Abuse. Partly genetic. But there is a voluntary element. And over time it becomes largely involuntary. The AV rages within. We drink to forestall the fearful and life threatening risks of withdrawal. And, drinking, we stand to lose all: our families, jobs, homes, freedom, possessions and, ultimately, our lives. A few escape and manage to take the long road back. Like some brutalized battalion, staggering back from the carnage of ravaged trenches.
Traditionally society stands by and judgmentally says, “He/she get what they deserve. Just a bunch of drunks!”
The nation’s number one health problem. Yet there are those who say, “Just put them in jail. They’re better off there and everyone else is better off too!” Increasing suicides. Self inflicted or from overdose. Should graveyards become our growth industry?
No. That should be the last "resort" and ultimately ruinous "option."

Recovery should be the growth industry. Getting everyone to the point of a better, healthy, sober life should be the goal. Personally, my alcoholism is the best thing that happened to me (para BB 4th ed p 418) and the path of the warrior - the sober one who gives back - is my chosen industry. Whatever combination genes and environment and choice add up to - I believe all are the case in my disease- I can still change the end result, with help.

I read doom and gloom- and self-pity- in your post....that kind of thinking simply can't be in my repertoire. Failure at this is not an option.