Thread: Tough love
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NoahJ

While there are common factors among us alcoholics (sense of loneliness, compulsion, and most importantly - brain chemistry), the way addiction manifests itself is very different. The "Just Stop" can work for some people, but not everyone.

My own experience is limited (2 months sober). Tough love doesn't hep me, what does is kindness and compassion toward to desire to drink - more often though, the sadness at not being able to drink safely. This isn't to say I acquiesce to the desire, rather I acknowledge that feeling and try to give it some firm sympathy before letting it go.

I'm not looking to get involved in a flame war. I'm not actually directing this response toward Shitzu puppy, but to others who may read this. As the AA Big Book says, alcohol is cunning and baffling. Relapsing is not a fault of character or willpower. It is a struggle and process against an active addiction. I want to make sure that others who are still really struggling with sobriety read that, and can take reinforcement from that.