View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LastingChange

Hi Cocobeano,

I'm not a mom, but I can absolutely relate to the feeling of trying to quell life's prosaic routine with alcohol. I have the most wonderful husband in the world and a beautiful house for which I am endlessly grateful, I pinch myself every day at my good fortune.

Yet I have been stuck working in a high pressured industry that I absolutely hate for years since leaving college. I have been studying for two years in the evenings after work to obtain a different qualification to change career for something I love and spending all my weekends studying and writing assignments, on top of long days at work with increasing pressure and office politics. I would go a couple of weeks at a time without drinking, to be super productive and clear, and although I'd feel great, I forgot to take time for myself to relax and do something enjoyable - it was all work, work, study, repeat, and I was burned out and felt guilty about never doing anything fun with my husband either. So when I would drink, a glass of wine at dinner would end up in an all out bender, as after the first glass I would start contemplating how mundane and frustrating life was and how I was stuck in the cycle of not ever enjoying anything.

Over the 10 years I've been binging, I've used and abused alcohol for many reasons, and I can attest that trying to create some 'excitement' or 'spice up reality' has definitely been one of the more damaging causes. I'm realising now that the prosaic life is actually pretty wonderful, and I intend to start meditating and regularly practising yoga to become more appreciative of the life I have.

I think that perhaps the media and social networks, celebrity culture etc. has warped our views of what constitutes an exciting or glamorous life, of the things to which we should aspire. I've deleted all of my social media apps in favour of this forum, and I intend on making time for myself to do the hobbies I enjoy, or meeting friends for a coffee, going for a walk, any simple pleasure that can brighten up the day. My plan is to distract my mind from becoming restless and bored or frustrated by planning ahead with healthy outlets and channeling these activities so as to replace my drinking with better, beneficial and life enhancing coping mechanisms rather than damaging drinking which is already slowly starting to impact the good things in my life in a really awful and irreversible way.

I hope this helps. I am finding huge solidarity and support from SR already (new here, Day 4 today for me), I am sure you will find the same.

Just take it one day/week at a time, and try to focus on setting a plan of action.