Old 06-04-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
This is a sad story. I'm glad that creep was convicted of murder! After years in AA I would absolutely say there are more mentally ill/criminals/predators than the average group/organization. I've been triggered/approached several times by many very sick men! I started going to Women's only meetings & although not the "same type" of predators, they are STILL there. I've decided to stop attending AA meetings. It's just not worth it.

HOWEVER...I am sure there are people that AA helps. I'm unfortunately am not one of them.
This is a terribly sad indictment on AA, and far too common. Poor sponsorship and ignorance at group level are the main cause.

In many years in AA I have observed exactly what you are talking about, predatory behaviour in almost every setting. The breeding grounds are the "anything goes" meetings, and often the special purpose groups which seem to bring about the exact problems they were set up to prevent, by imposing further restrictions on membership over and above the third tradition.

When a women's group is active it drains women from the mainstream fellowship, leaving female newcomer vulnerable. Law of unintended consequences perhaps. Men's groups, women's groups, any group that adds another issue to the primary purpose of recovery from alcoholism, seem to be breeding grounds for predatory control and behaviour in many cases.

But then, have a look around the fellowship at the solution based groups. My home group is a big book study. We try and learn what is in the book and put it into practice in our daily lives. Our meetings are formatted, and focused, and there is no opportunity for drama. We have great discussions about the solution, and how we apply it.

Anyone there for predatory reasons stick out like dogs clangers. They don't stay. The meeting is too disciplined. It is a safe place for members of both sexes and all age groups. Our unity is very important to us. Likewise the drama queens don't stay. They is no room for their performances, and again, they don't like the focus.

What to do when a member breaks the law? A steps group I belonged to seemed to have a good grasp of their obligations to the community and the law, when a member confessed to a current murder of an AA member and another woman. He was instantly reported and is now serving life. Some of the anything goes groups objected to the breach of anonymity can you believe. In my book it just goes to show that an informed group conscience will do the right thing. Ignorance and poor sponsorship are at the bottom of the problem, and always have been.