View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Baseball32
The obsession has remained lifted, and my life has been better since I stopped attending meetings daily. My question is, does anyone have experience with a similar situation?
Yes, I do. I was involuntarily placed after a Baker Act almost 11 years ago. While in the psych ward, I decided no drinking ever again . I attended meetings for about a year at the behest of my family, and I complied as it was the least I could do considering what I had put them through, but I had already made my decision re: never drinking again, so the programs nor the meetings were keeping me sober. In fact, I experienced more and more cognitive dissonance, as there is much that I do not agree with in the recovery circle line of thinking. I was less peaceful, and less sure of myself while attending meetings. Despite dire warnings that I would "go back out", I decided on what was best for me.

The fellowship was nice and I met many people I still have as friends today, despite our differing views. But necessary for ending my addiction? No.

You should be prepared for when your AV tries to whisper sweet nothings. It will, but it's nothing to fear. You can learn to separate from that by a technique called AVRT. If you're not familiar with it, you might look into it. There are some good threads here and other info on the net.

Many people do like to give back to their community, and AA is a nice way to do that. There are also many, many other areas in which people can do this. I'm very involved in the special needs community, and often find ways to pay forward the kindness others have extended me in my own personal journey in raising my special needs son. There are lots of important ways we can all pay kindness forward.

Best to you on whatever you decide. xo