Thread: Liver Damage
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lisa1211

I was just curious and wanted to ask someone with first hand experience. My mom is a recovering alcoholic. She has been sober now for almost a month. She went sober for 1 1/2 years and then recently had a relapse for about 6 months or so. Anyways, since she has quit in the past week and a half or so she has really went down hill fast. She started with complaining of severe leg cramps and then difficulty walking. It then progressed into jaundice and stomach pains. I got to her house this Tuesday to take her to the dr and almost overnight her abdimon had swolen pretty large. The dr set her up for a procedure where they drain the fluid and she had that done yesterday. It was a really tuff day for her but she got relief from the stomach pains but now I was there tonight and she is barely moving, very weak, no appetite and a little disoriented. I called the nurse and she said it could be that she is just very weak from everything that has happened this week to her but I am really scared. I have read so many different things about this I am so confused. I guess I am just curious if you have expierenced these same problems w/ your husband and if so does it get better with time? I know have rambled on and on but this is all so new to me and I am so confused and scared. I have also checked into maybe being a living donor for her but I don't know if that works w/ cirrhosis patients or not. I hope we aren't at that stage yet. This is the first time she has had any signs at all of any liver problems and she has only been drinking heavy for less than 8 years total but I guess sometimes the amount of time drinking doesen't matter. Thanks for taking the time to help me!