Thread: Antabuse?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
August252015

I took it successfully, the first 90 days of my sobriety - because I was DONE drinking and it was just one tool in my kit, as my psych said. It is a serious drug- not recommended for longtime use for one reason being it is hard on your liver which most alcoholics already damaged greatly. You can get very sick or even die if you drink while on it. It's not a cure and it should not be treated lightly. It IS a good thing for some recovering alcoholics to take in discussion of a plan for recovery with their doctor.

Other meds I have continued to take include Campral (acamprosate) which is an anti-craving med. At 462 days, i can honestly say I have had zero physical cravings. Ever. If I need to stay on it forever, fine by me.

Neither of these or the other pieces of my drug regimen keep me sober (or got me there). I had to choose sobriety and that's the bottom line.

Everything else is details- and my "Details" are my AA program, spiritual life, and the other components of living my best, healthiest life.