View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
August252015

I would be on a slippery slope if I stopped going to meetings. I think one reason is that I learn something from each one (consciously, sometimes, because some are not fun, plenty annoying, etc), and another is that attending 4-6 a week (my sweet spot) is part of what I call my recovery routine. My discipline about my program is something I protect and value greatly, and it shows in the time I spend, schedule considerations etc to make it happen.

Side note- behaviors like throwing chairs, argument starting, etc, wouldn't be tolerated at any of the places I attend meetings. Many of us have mental health issues from fairly minor to very severe; IMO and as I understand the AA part about group conscience and the greater whole being above/beyond any individual, meetings and clubhouses must be kept safe for the totality of the membership.

I'd also say that the meetings I choose to attend are very tolerant of diverse "looks"- what some might term "lifestyle choices" (we have one local celeb who is a well known, colorful trans figure in Atlanta), and such - and I would only respect meetings and groups that do have this kind of tolerance.