View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
myluckyday

I'm no expert but I thought I would just let you know how I got through my first days. I was a night time drinker. I hardly ever drank before 8 pm. Everyday beginning mid afternoon, I would start thinking about drinking. It would give me that extra push to get me through the day knowing that first cocktail would be waiting. After 8, I would binge drink until I went to bed and pass out. When I decided to quit, I would have a really hard time at night, so I would just go to bed when it would be my usual time to drink. I would wake up the next day so thankful that I didn't drink the night before but by mid afternoon my AV would kick in and the cravings were bad. I would be so depressed thinking I couldn't have a drink that night. It was so hard. I didn't want to go on. What for? What's the purpose? Is this all there is to life? Getting up, going to work, going to bed. It was awful. I couldn't even entertain the thought of never drinking again. That was impossible to imagine. Every night I would just go to bed early. Night after night. Then before I knew it, it got a little easier. Soon enough I didn't have to go to bed so early if I didn't want to. I was able to stay up later and not drive myself insane with cravings. The other night around 10 pm I realized that I hadn't thought about drinking all day! I just couldn't believe it! I'm only on day 36 but I've never made it this far before. I can truly say that I can turn down a drink (which I did at a picnic today) and I was basically fine with it. If I'm totally honest, I did have a few sad moments watching others drink, but it was manageable. It's 12:56 a.m. right now and I'm sitting on the couch watching tv and have a glass of cold green tea in hand. No cravings at all. I'm still tired all the time, and sometimes my entire body aches so much. I'm hoping that will improve sooner than later. I still get that flash of a thought once in awhile, but I kick that right to the curb. I'm in no way out of the woods, but I'm managing. Everyone has a different way of handling this. I thought I would just tell my story. I'm sincerely routing for you! It sucks big time at first. There is no way around it. You are worth it, and if I can do it, so can you!!!