View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Hello and Welcome to SR!

I think most of us found this place through a search about our drinking, I know I did. You can definitely stop, and 30 is still so young. It took me until my 40s before I finally managed sobriety. I spent a few years with brief periods of sobriety, and then attempts at moderation, which always failed miserably. I now have 17 months sober and it is due to having a plan. Once you spend some time on here you will get to know Dee, and he will encourage all newcomers, and those returning to have a plan and it is so true!

I focused on recovery, and making healthy choices across the board. I completely took alcohol off the table, it was not an option for me no matter the occasion (and I was good at always finding an occasion!). In the beginning I planned out the time I would have normally been drinking with other activities: walking, yoga, the gym, activities with my kids, reading both recovery, and non recovery books. I spent a lot of time on here, reading and posting daily. I also really have been working on mindfulness, and staying focused in the present.

A few tips about this site:
-Join a class, you can join the May 2017, and even June 2017 class (once it starts). The best thing about the monthly classes is you will have the support of others who have decided to commit or recommit to sobriety that month.

-Check in daily on the 24 hour thread. It is fast moving, and you will make some fast friends. Everyone on this thread celebrates the successes of other members, and is there to support each other through the rough times.

-Read and post in the Newcomers Thread.

-If the thought of drinking pops into your head log in here first. There will be someone here to help talk you out of it.

You will never wake up in the morning and regrets being sober. The first few days/weeks are challenging, but they truly get easier, and the benefits are so worth it. Also, do not hesitate to reach out to your doctor for support with getting started, they can help you with physical withdrawal symptoms, and can also recommend other face to face supports in this area.

Glad you are here!!!
❤Delilah