View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 11:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DontRemember

I've heard the "voices" at 6+months sober the past few days dealing with my kid's current issues. My business partner/good friend of many years (so, he knows I'm a recovering drunk ) said this to me at lunch,as he drank a beer: " What you are hearing is normal thoughts about what is happening in your life. Your mind is clear now, and you are trying to think things through. That's what WE normal drinkers do every damn day,without trying to drink it away,like you have done for years! You are now owning and solving your problems,instead of hiding at the bottom of the glass because IT,ANYTHING,EVERYTHING either went perfect or it didn't go your way." Me, still being me was like: Get the F outta here with that..in my head and I thought for a few seconds..He was right! I'm living for the first time in years,taking the world in. ALL of it. My stuff. Kid's stuff. Your stuff. I'm present and in the moment all day everyday and that stuff's hard for me! I look well put together on the outside/paper but,inside I'm a wreck and I'm trying my best to deal with that. On edit: I went to a meeting after lunch and saw first hand what I would become in 30yrs if I continue to drink the way I was heading..That's not who I am or want to be. I just have to relearn "being normal"..not a normal drinker,that ship has sailed but, a normal person. Then I hope the crazy thoughts will chill out in crisis mode.