View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by NewLife310 View Post
Because you so often hear in recovery that first you have to stop the drinking and then work on the reasons that caused you to drink, the voices I'm hearing right now are scary.
It has been quite a while since I was in your shoes, but something about your post caught my interest. First you have to stop drinking is what they say. Nice thought, logical, and I would have long ago if I had the power. But I didn't, so the first thing for me to do was to find the power.

When I realised that and got busy with my quest, I found myself sober, with no inclination to drink.

I can certainly relate to the racing mind. It was a problem I had whenever I was sober, and alone, particularly when I wanted to sleep. The racing mind and the sweats and the tiredness etc were all part of withdrawal, but while the physical symptoms eased off, my mind was a mad house for quite a time after I had my last drink.

Maybe it was brain damage, maybe a spiritual disconnect, but I had lost the ability to think my way through the most simple of things. Just choosing what socks to wear was a major undertaking. My mind was not functioning very well. It certainly was in no state to bring about a miracle cure in me. It was like having a head full of scrambled eggs.

What did I do? The very first day after my last drink I was at an AA meeting. I didn't speak (couldn't string together a sentence), just took comfort from the others that there was a way out. I listened. I did some of those basic things like eating and washing. I hung out with some other newbies during the day. Then after a week or two I started to act on some of the other things I was hearing, then I blinked and I was three months sober and the whole world had changed.

The racing mind was largely gone, I remember exactly the day that happened. Ultimately it was the result of keeping an open mind and being willing to take action. Like I said, the action started with very small stuff, eating and washing, then listening then seeking, then doing.