View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Delizadee

What if you get sober but you still have all the problems that lead up to it? What then?
NewLife, I had all my problems that led up to drinking, and then some from drinking, then a whole crapload of new ones after I quit drinking, so then I had to deal with the before, during and after.
We all do, really. Unless we have some lucky horseshoes stuck you-know-where. (I did at times)

Those thoughts that play like a broken record still run through my mind sometimes, and I am a week shy of 5 months sober.
5 months!! I never thought I would get here. I always got tripped up on day 4 too. And 8... 10. etc

The ONLY way to make things better is to DO something to make things better.
Get proper rest, sleep when you need to. Even if you can't sleep, rest is still important.
Get some real life support. Counseling, meetings, a sober buddy or other support group.
When you feel well enough, get yourself busy.
Volunteer, take up hobbies, join a club, read more books, go for walks, post here lots, journal, blog, whatever gives you some measure of healthy pleasure and comfort is what you're aiming for.

You can rewrite that BS tape that's playing through your head.
You have to work at it consistently though.
This WILL get better.
The longer you stay sober, the stronger you will be.

NOTHING on this earth can or could make you drink but yourself.
So, that means the reasons for the rest of what's wrong with your life comes down to choices made and coping mechanisms you found that worked.
You can change all that.
It takes time. It takes persistence. Don't give up on yourself and don't believe the lies you tell yourself anymore.

Hang in there.