Old 05-25-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
khendal46

I always just explain the biggest ways it (social anxiety specifically) hinders my life. I feel like if I just say that I am feeling nervous or something that people brush it under the rug and minimize. I usually bring up several specific instances of how debilitating it can be:
- Can't check out in the grocery store without having panic attacks sometimes.
- Afraid to get a haircut because I am "stuck" there and start freaking out, and sometimes have to make multiple trips to the bathroom to try and calm down.
- It hinders my job performance because I sometimes start having a panic attack in the middle of dealing with a customer. I usually break into a sweat and start shaking when this happens which makes it noticeable and embarrassing.
- Afraid to meet friends for coffee or dinner because of the whole "being trapped" in that situation thing. This leads me to isolate and have serious trouble making friends.
- Gives me insomnia on a regular basis.
- I can't eat a lot of the time because my stomach is constantly in knots from the anxiety. I have taken to drinking Slimfast in the mornings before work due to anxiety about my job.
I always like to mention the last one if someone thinks I am "just being dramatic". It is hard for those who are ignorant about mental health to tell you to just "relax" or "just think positive thoughts" when your body is going into such a high stress mode that it makes you unable to stomach food. That's obviously not normal.