View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
larrylive
Not again

Hello to all,

Great topic, full of controversy. I hate going to meetings, but do so every night (almost). I am certain you can get sober with out them, but I don't know anyone that has. I wish I could stop going, but I kinda cut a deal with God. I have to help the still sick and suffering addicts and I don't know where else to find them. Not that it's easy in the rooms, as they seem to attract a lot of social misfits and mentally unstable people. This does not help those of us looking for a solution to our drug and alchol problem, but what else can you do?
So the way I see it is there are many different types of path's to sobriety. Some people are comfortable with the "self-help" method, meaning meetings. Others find grace in the 12-step program as defined in the Big Book of AA. Some do both (Me) I do take issue with people saying the only way out is to sit in meetings and do what a sponsor tells you to do, as that has nothing to do with the program of AA. It's just some mutation that happened along the way. But if it keeps you from smoking crack or shootin' dope, by all means keep doing it.
I on the other hand needed a bit more. So, as I noted earlier, I turned to God, gave up sinning and started helping others. Guess what, it works, really well I might add. I am fairly happy with my life, as compared to all the bitching and moaning I hear from people who only go to meetings and talk about some phantom sponsor. But who am I to judge, I still ride a bike at 53

Be Well,
Larry