View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Smarie78

Agree with Lexie - - I have not heard of much success with this and I think you hit the nail on the head TheHopeful in that it sounds too good to be true. There are some studies out there that it can work. But there is a big "BUT" attached to it in that there are a host of other factors that need to be aligned in order for this to even potentially be successful. I believe alcoholism exists on a spectrum and for those who will be the most successful with it, they typically fall on the lower end and are not alcohol dependent. I wouldn't really look at this as the magic pill because if it were, you wouldn't have millions of addicts in and out of rehab and AA.

What I would instead focus on, is what you want. His drinking is impacting your life, it doesn't really matter where he is on the addiction scale or if he can try Sinclair or AA or therapy or something else. First, he would need to want to get help for really anything to have a chance at working. If he doesn't want to and drinks without any signs of quitting, there is nothing you can do but leave and have the life you imagine. Or of course stay and donate your life to him.

To answer your question I am still with my boyfriend and things have not improved in the two years of promises that they would (it's a vicious cycle that I allow to keep going because like you, I know what I should do I just don't want to). He is a binge drinker and is on the severe end of addiction. it's true what they say in that the disease is progressive and likely to get worse without recovery efforts. He doesn't drink every day and always swears he learned his lesson and back on the wagon after the last round, but every month or two I can count on a full blown relapse. Sounds fun, huh? Good luck and keep posting!