View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Smarie78

Originally Posted by LoveHurt View Post
I haven't felt this content in years!! Anyway I do feel bad for leaving someone when they are at their worst. I could use some affirmation on that.
I am so happy for you that you have found contentment! That alone is reason enough to keep going for it. Your AH doesn't want to stop or get help. It's very sad to watch someone stepping on the gas with the brick wall in front of them, but as others have echoed, he has made the choice. I use to feel stuck when I turned my back on my Abf bc I would think in my mind "how can I leave someone who is sick?", but then I realized that he had the power to treat his illness but chose not to. That part is always a choice. Once they are in the thick of a binge I truly don't think they can be reasoned with. I don't know his history but if you have been by his side and helping and he is showing no signs of recovery, you have done all you can. It's sad. And it's normal to hurt and feel guilty (alanon and a therapist can help with that). I've been there and am still there. Getting rolling on the divorce may be the best thing you do for both of you. Stay, and you both go down. Leave, and least one person gets out alive (you). **hugs**