Old 05-20-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
This isn't really one issue...it affects everything. Trust, intimacy, recreation, finances, health...I can't think of an aspect of married life it won't impact eventually.

Protect yourself, especially financially and health-wise, if you're not ready to break up. Especially make sure to avoid pregnancy. Fetal alcohol syndrome is a real possibility here and having a child will bind you permanently.
Sure but this all falls under the affects of alcoholism. The woman in question appears to be a good mother and the OP doesn't seem to have any other issues with her and why he's having a hard deciding what to do.

Unfortunately, marrying an active alcoholic can be a receipt for disaster. Even if she decides to seek treatment I'd recommend taking a lot of time and not jumping into marriage.

I got sober maybe three years before my marriage. My wife or girlfriend at the time unlike the OP had enough of my drinking and left.

But having her pack up and leave was just one of many personal disaster in my life at the time. So, I decided to check out AA and maybe do something about my drinking.

My reasons for walking into the rooms of AA weren't solely to get her back. I'd become sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'd had enough. I got sober for myself.

Another thing to consider: After I got sober I found myself not in a hurry to marry. Without the on-going drama related to drinking my life was changing.

It might be wise for the OP and his lady friend to view their relationship in a lengthy sober light before making any long-term commitment.

Best of luck.