Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by Tuna1981 View Post
I've been having a tough time lately in my relationship with my girlfriend and her drinking. We've been together for about 2 and a half years and have now lived together for one. I have always known she drinks but have never known the severity until this past year. We used to go out and have some drinks together when we first started dating, stay in and have a few at the house or go out with friends and have no issues. Over the past year and a half it seems to be getting worse. I have cut my drinking back to maybe a few times a month, one because I work so much now and two because I don't want to drink around her even if she is. She has been on a steady diet of Jager and Redbull (anywhere from a pint a day to almost a 5th). She has started to black out and not remember things and it's becoming where we cannot even go out bc she gets to wasted and has to leave with in an hour bc she power drinks.

I know she drinks to hide her depression. She lost her mom a few months back and her job is highly stressful. This is starting to get worse though. Before she would drink a 5th in about 3 days or so but she's doing that almost every night now. I can count maybe 10 sober days since the new year started.

It's beginning to weigh on our relationship. She is the woman I want to marry but this is giving me reservations. I confront her about it and she calls it BS and if I wanted to marry her I would deal with it bc she deals with things I do (I chew and smoke occasionally). I just don't put the two things on that same level. She says she's alone bc I work so much and blames that on the drinking too. Her drinking has pushed me away emotionally, passionately and romantically. We used to be wild for each other and now it's hard for me to get excited for her when she's drunk or drinking. The smell of Jager just turns me off.

I'm drained and need some advice. I love her but I'm scared this is dark path we are heading down that's only going to get worse.

Thanks in advance

Way too much drama for me. Sex might have been great but the rest is a mess. Need to weight the two side by side. Me? Great sex always won out.

Fortunately, my wife doesn't drink much. God only knows how much I screwed up over the past 40 years but I did marry well. That's one thing I can say.