View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nion

Newly sober and struggling

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I've only been sober since May 12, 2017.

A little bit of a background on myself: My parents are both high-functioning alcoholics and I've been drinking consistently for the last 7 years (about 6-8 ciders a night). Its been my crutch when it comes to dealing with my depression, stress and social anxiety for years and I'm really struggling when it comes to coping with these issues without alcohol.

About a month ago, I lost my job of three years (honestly, due to the alcoholism) and even that wasn't enough. My drinking has escalated over the last month due to the guilt and shame of dealing with this whole ordeal. Besides that, my finances were already in the gutter due to my addiction.

Last Friday, I ended up over-doing it and got into a huge altercation with my partner of 4 years. He pretty much gave me an ultimatum: quit drinking or he's moving out. He doesn't drink and doesn't understand why I can't just put the drink down. This whole situation has obviously put me in a tremendous amount of emotional stress.

My social anxiety has gotten to the point where I don't know how to form friendships without booze. I don't know how to distract myself with normal activities anymore. I honestly don't feel any happiness when it comes to doing anything anymore.

Anyways, this is probably my 20th attempt at putting the bottle down forever. I'm really struggling at the moment and am looking for support anywhere.

Thanks for listening.