View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
cellardoor77

Originally Posted by kevinsm View Post
My experience with initial meetings.....like most, we don't like, feel akward, etc., but it will pass.

First NA meeting I went to I thought they were creepy because they all wanted to hug me! I still think it is weird, but I know they are trying to welcome you. I found NA is much more raw than AA.....NA seems to have less long term sobriety and member are younger. NA people lives seem to be more is disarray (just an observation).

AA members seemed more stable to me......though I still don't like holding hands and saying the Lord's prayer! So, I either get hugged at NA, or suck it up and hold hands at AA!!!
Haha, I think it probably does take a little getting used to (the hugging and holding hands). I do appreciate the welcoming aspect since it is kind of difficult walking in there the first time, not knowing anyone. It does at least make you feel a little more welcome. And yes.. pretty much everything you've described comparing the two groups is what I've noticed as well. I think there were maybe a few members that had a year or 2 sober (not everyone announced their sober time), and for the most part, a younger crowd, and a little more raw. Still, I felt like a pretty good group so I think I'll go back. Got a lot more free time lately, so I plan to go back and forth between the two. I get something different out of each one. Congrats on 17 months!