Old 05-13-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Thing is, the things we most don't want to talk about tend to be the things we most NEED to talk about. We're only as sick as our secrets. Keeping them is like choosing to keep a little poison arrow stuck in our backside. Freedom comes through honestly.

5th step is all about finding out our fear and ego has such a hold over us. Most of our fears don't stem from what we are, but around how we think others do or may perceive us. Why not contact your sponsor and say you left something out and need to go ovr that last thing. I suspect that once you've done this you will find the relief you seek.

No one can force you to do this. You are in control of your own recovery.
This speaker recording helped me in the lead up to my step 5. It might be worth a listen. Charlie is an alcoholic rather than AlAnon, but the principles of fear controlling us is the same whichever side of the fence we're on ... Charlie C. - Step 4 Fear & Sex, Stateline Retreat; Primm, Nevada - 2006 | Alcoholism Recovery Speaker

You know, plenty of poeple in AA relapse after leaving something (intentionally ) out of their step 5. In a way it's easier for them to see the results of their omission, and go back to start again. I suspect that would be harder for an al-anon as there is no obvious relapse, just a long term lack of the promises coming to fruition.

You, like everyone else, deserves those promises to come true. But it is a gift that only you can give yourself. The price might seem high at the moment, but I assure you that once you've voiced it to your sponsor, that secret fear you've buried in your heart will lose all its power over you. I don't know you, but I'm praying that you will choose to lean into your fear and give yourself that gift. And the sooner the better.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB