View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Zen, many of the boat people here drink moderately at most. Maybe its just my perspective but my captain and I don't drink and he has a large social circle I'm just starting to meet. There was one function where alcohol was served, friends had bought their boat just hours prior and had a couple glasses of champagne. N and I simply had sparkling water and no one else thought anything of it. There are a couple of people who drink excessively and most of the other people at the waterfront avoid them.

Perhaps its perception like many social scenes, whether its a rock concert, going to a club or a wedding: we notice the behaviors we are looking for instead of the totality of what is really happening around us.

When you mentioned the drunk girl interrupting you the first thing in my mind was "Its nice not being that girl any longer." What a fool I made of myself in the day.

Now I'm getting off my soapbox lol. To celebrate my five years I bought myself a fit bit. I've been wanting to chart my sleeping patterns for a few years now but with my extreme insomnia a sleep study would be pretty useless for looking at my other sleep issues. The new Fitbit does chart sleep patterns so I bought one and am also using it as a reason to start yoga again. I've been using Pokémon Go to get myself motivated to distance walk, and its a good incentive since you gather benefits for distance covered on foot. I was able to get a Pokémon Go Plus on Amazon from Japan at the going rate as a reward for walking 100 kilometers in a month. Now I just have to hit a little button to "catch" a nearby Pokémon. Yes, I spoil myself these days but its worth it to keep myself motivated, and also keep that depression beast as far away as possible.

Today I finally convinced Zero his life jacket isn't the end of the world, and he's happy because he can look over the edge of top deck now without me grabbing him in total fear. For a dog that hates swimming he sure has no fear watching the water!

Speaking of water, I did something that reminded me of what happened all the time when I was drinking. While transferring my items onto the dingy I turned quickly and dropped my brand new iPhone into the water! Thank goodness when I bought it I had the mind to buy the idiot proof insurance just in case. It was over 4 meters deep in sea water and the next day a nice diver went down and brought it back up for me. It was still working 15 hours after it fell in. The only part that wasn't functioning was the Touch ID. Dropping that into the water sure reminded me of all the things I lost before I got sober. Even worse was the fact I often didn't notice until the next day.

So because I'm sober today I can remember what happened to my phone, realize the importance of having a life jacket on my best buddy, and make proactive long term healthy changes for my body. Not too shabby.