View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Fusion

Fini, I had similar types of experiences too, in addition to the arguing with AV.

For instance, when I was trying, for years, to cut down daily amount, start later in the day, maybe miss a day out.....sometimes there wasn't any AV, and after deciding not to drink until, say 2pm (lol) and I'd have only X cans of lager. So I'd be relatively sober and coasting through, batting off the AV, or feel little AV, until, suddenly I'd be stood there, with an open can of lager raised to mouth, drinking it! I honestly didn't remember anything before that point, not walking down the garden to the lager stored in the summer house, not walking up the stops, opening the door, taking a can from my secret stash, not walking back to the house and not even pulling the ring pull and raising it (classy, lager straight out the tin).

It was as though I was on auto-pilot, a rogue auto-pilot that took control of me, akin to sleep-walking (although I haven't) but my sister does and she suddenly comes to her senses in the kitchen in the middle night - just as I did when standing there with the open can. Plus, when under the influence, I had no control over the amount I drank, but that was because I was inebriated and my higher brain functioning was disengaged by alcohol.

I understand when it happens to me (the drinking without recalling the steps that led to it) it's when the lower brain/mid brain, completely swamps and takes full control of the higher brain (where logical choices are made). I understand that if a human lost most of their cognitive choice making part of the brain, the lower brain would still operate bodies, but we'd completely lose the power of choice, restraint and inhibition, we'd act pretty much like a pack of animals, driven by survival drives only.