View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
CanadianRose

Originally Posted by Sodevastated View Post
Thank you for the condolences. Just want to say you're doing a great job by letting your AH find his own way out of this, if he wants to.

What I've learnt is that you can't beg, nag or threat an addict into recovery. If they want to they'll do it, if not they won't, and it's extremely tragic we can't do anything about it. Even if they go to rehab they can relapse anytime. Unfortunately there are no gurantees with an addict.

I wish I could have done something to save my AH, but by reading posts and by the support of great people on here I've learnt that what I did, didn't do wouldn't have mattered. What matters is the addicts will/lack of will to engage in recovery.

You're doing the right thing.You're a smart and brave woman.Take care of yourself Deelilah
Thank you! I think I need to hear that sometimes. I'm an absolute mess with a veneer of keeping it together right now. I feel almost cold, but I know there's a storm of grief being caged by that wall while I'm still in the midst of it. I feel like if I'm not careful keeping that wall up, I'll just break down completely. I'm kind of looking forward to my first moment alone in this house where I can let it all hit me and move further through some of this. It's just a tragedy of epic proportions for everyone when someone has an addiction problem. Them, us, everyone in our lives. My family, his family, our kids, our friends...there's so much wreckage and it hasn't even gotten really bad yet. I hope rehab helps him regain himself and that while he's gone, the rest of us wrecked people can support one another. You have experienced the pain that we all fear so much. You survived it. That gives me hope, if all this goes south. You inspire me.