Old 05-05-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by MesaMan
I would not have sobered up without my Mind, which started to work again some after a ~1 Week of Sobriety.
This!! I always feel uncomfortable when people say they can't "trust themselves" or things like "My best thinking got me addicted". A hijacked mind is not my best thinking.

Originally Posted by MesaMan
Thinking, and Autonomic Responses, can and do co-exist. If I think too much when I drop a Glass toward the Floor, it'll break; due to me not responding automatically.
I wholeheartedly agree. Sort of like a computer, I feel like I went into my settings, went to the drinking panel, and rest the default from drinking to not drinking. It's not something I have to reset or rethink every day.

I see a lot of musing on this board about underlying conditions and causes and "addictive personality" and it seems to me the AV has a field day with this stuff. "Let's go in circles, drinking all the while, until we figure it out!" I'm not saying that trauma doesn't exist, that bad experiences can't drive our behaviors, or that one cannot have several different drives gone awry. I'm saying that for billions of people with the same issues, it doesn't cause them to become addicted to substances. Jumbling that stuff together gives me a ready excuse for drinking that will never go away because I'll never have everything all figured out completely.

My stance is I don't drink period. Most of the other stuff will be figured out along the way, and the reality is that some stuff will never be figured out and that's ok. It remains separate from the commitment to never drink, so it cannot affect that commitment.