View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RDBplus3

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
I got back from my meeting had some lunch and a bit of chocolate.

I shared during the meeting about my concerns and am now still have my mind wandering to booze.

I keep playing the tape forward and reminding me of my last drunk but I am still nervous.
In the early stages of working the steps, before the miracle of separation from the addiction happened, I had 2 separate suggestions made that helped me immensely.

(1) My sponsor suggested I memorize the 3rd Step Prayer, and repeat it often. I modified it slightly and replaced the 'Thees & Thous' with 'You' & Your' to make it more personal.

(2) Someone at a meeting said he often had to repeat 'God Direct My Thinking ... God Direct My Thinking'. It stuck with me and I put it to use.

Both of these helped immensely, when I put them to work, repeatedly and consistently.

The 3rd Step Prayer introduced concepts that were so radically different from what was constantly running thru my addiction-rifled brain that I repeated it almost in disbelief, but in hopefulness that 'God' or this 'Higher Power' that obviously worked thru the 12 Step program, could use it in me.

'God Direct My Thinking ... God Direct My Thinking' ... I used like doing 99 Bottles of God on the Wall. I would use it to crowd out, and over-ride the incessant voice in my head Screaming Bloody Murder for a drink or a drug.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE