Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Oh yeah, I only JUST stopped falling asleep every single time I meditated, lol!! I forgot to warn you about that.

It's ok - this takes tons of practice & there's no doing it "wrong", not really.

A lot of people think you need to be able to fully empty your mind to meditate, but in reality it's the opposite - it's about opening it & acknowledging those thoughts but not focusing on them. Kind of like, "yeah, that's important, I'll think about it later though..."

Someone once described it like imagining that your thoughts are like billboards while you drive your meditation down the highway. You don't stop & inspect every sign as you pass it; you see it, file it away & keep moving forward.

It has taken me YEARS to get to a point where my mind is not flooded with activity from the moment I start to quiet down - in the beginning it was straight chaos up there, lol. Now it's far easier to slip into that blank space because I know I'll be right back in reality soon enough.

I also don't see recognizable benefits every single day because it's so subtle - more like I think, wow, I really stayed patient when I thought I might lose it! What IS noticeable is when I fall out of practice & don't meditate about 3x per week just to maintain..... I notice intolerance & impatience & general dissatisfaction with everything when I'm not making this space for myself.

So, how did you sleep??