Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kdd363

Boyfriend fell off the wagon. Need advice.

Hi, I'm pretty new to all of this. My boyfriend has fallen off the wagon for the second time since we started dating 5 months ago. The first time I spent a day and night with him at his request to make sure he didn't drink anymore, but when I went to work the next day, he went back out to buy more alcohol. This time he says that he decided "f*ck it" (his words) after he didn't get a job that he really wanted and really thought he was going to get. He hasn't been employed since the last time he got fired when he was drinking. He passed over multiple opportunities in the meantime and put all his eggs in one basket, going through this 3 month interview process, even though I advised him that was risky. Anyway, now he wants me to come over and do the same thing - babysit him and make sure he doesn't drink for another 24 hours. I need advice on how to handle this situation. I'm not sure it is a good idea to run to his rescue. Isn't that enabling and making him more codependent? I'm just scared, because the last time he only stopped drinking after ending up in the hospital with pancreatitis and gallbladder problems. The blessing was that they kept him until he detoxed, and he was okay for some months after that. I myself was laid off from a 10 year job this week, 2 days before he fell off the wagon. He was there for me that day and night while I cried and grieved (no drinking). And two days later he doesn't get a job and this happened. I need to deal with my own crisis right now and want to help him. I'm just not sure the best way to do so.