View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
rescuer

Hi,

Your post struck a chord in me because I am going through a very similar process. I agree with what everyone else has said, just wanted to add that the sharing and telling the family/friends can be an important step. You might feel a great burden lifted if you don't have to hide from your near and dear ones. And even if people don't know enough about alcoholism, they should be supportive (if they aren't you might want to reevaluate their place in your life).
Your boyfriend's admitting to a problem is a big first step but it sounds like he is still some way away from fully accepting the situation and genuinely deciding to do something about it. In the meantime you have to take care of yourself; walking away or at least separating for a while etc might be something to consider. When things got just too out of hand I asked my AW to move out for at least 6 months. It's only been a month but I've been feeling so much more relaxed and free, and I think - and she agrees - that it was the best thing to finally get her moving towards recovery. Of course it may not last, or it may not work for your bf and he might fight you, but that is not something you can control. You need to focus on your own happiness. The decisions you make have to be about what is best for YOU, not about what you think might help him.