Old 04-09-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
PurpleCat
Meow

Hi all. Been an interesting weekend for me. I deliberately deviated from my diet/lifestyle change today in that I did not track a single calorie that crossed my lips. I needed to walk away from it - looking at my journal made that very clear, especially when coupled with what I talked about yesterday. Fortunately, there's no long term difficulties with a day long potato chip binge. :P I'll get back in the saddle tomorrow and I do feel in a better place now that I let myself go crazy (so to speak) for a day.

At my group on Thursday we talked about why people do things, including drinking to excess. The exercise was to think about what you are getting out of the behavior. For me, the drink after work started as a way to reduce the stress of my day. Over the years, it became a habit that started to have more negative consequences than positive ones. An analogy was made about taking the same path from your car to your door, across your lawn, every day. At first the grass is all fresh and springy - feels good under your feet. But eventually the path will get worn down and the grass will die. The path no longer feels good under your feet. But if you take a different path - even though it feels hard or weird - you can break the habit and things will eventually feel better. I dunno if this is coming out in an understandable way.

I did have one glass of wine at the Symphony. Rebellion more than anything else. None in the bar afterwards, nor at bowling tonight. Didn't want any and don't plan on having any more any time soon. Just wanted that one at the Symphony. To be honest, it didn't taste quite as good as I remember, and I don't think I got anything worthwhile out of having it.

Rascal, I'm a goal setter. If I don't set goals for myself, I'll procrastinate my life away. I feel good when I achieve them, but when I don't I struggle. I have a tendency towards perfectionism at times.

Anyway, enough about me. I hope you all have a great week ahead. It's a short workweek for me as our offices are closed on Good Friday. (ETA: That last part was about me again. Oops...)