Thread: Day1/Day7
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheClaw

Day1/Day7

Day 1 on SR. Day 7 sober.

A week ago we were in Mexico trying to have a nice spring break vacation. On Saturday I started with the tequila for breakfast (unusual for me), drank on and off most of the day and by the time we were out for dinner I was a raging ass hole to my wife and teenage kids. Sunday morning my wife told me when we get back she wants me to move out.

I’ve been a heavy drinker most of my adult life. 6 or 7 years ago it got to a point my wife dragged me around to different treatment centers but none of them felt right. At that point I went to a High Priced Shrink (HPS) in the city. He told me you can’t go cold turkey and do it yourself. At which point I said “(expletive deleted) Just watch me!”. And I did. I didn’t drink for almost 3 years. During that time I had a couple of wrenching career turnovers, in the middle from one job to another (I was doing pretty well $) I decided I was done not drinking, “Why me? Why do I have to NOT DRINK? I turned to goto get buzzed fast cheap 99c schnapps. At first it was just a couple, then 3 to 4, then 3-4 with a 9% beer. You see where this is going.

I was downsized again, made a career change and bought a business. I am working my arse off making 1/3 of what I used to. We are selling our house and downsizing before the kids go to college. Stress is off the charts. My drinking did not help.

Then our trip. I told her we couldn’t afford for me to move out. I apologized to the kids and confessed to being an alcoholic. That was Day 1.

Day 7, here I am. The headaches won’t go away.

I have a lot to say and I’m hoping to contribute as we go along.