View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I hope you both understand that simply taking the meds (Antabuse is the common name) is not going to be any kind of long-term solution to the problem.
Actually, diazepam is the generic name for Valium, not Antabuse (the generic name for which is disulfiram). Valium is for withdrawals and anxiety, not to prevent someone from drinking--it's just for the physical discomfort of withdrawal.

Welcome, Hopeful,

I'd second the suggestion of Al-Anon for you. Its purpose isn't to teach you how to get him sober (or be "supportive" so he stays that way), but rather to help you heal from the effects of living with someone else's alcoholism.

Everyone has to start somewhere. His TRYING to get sober now is a mildly hopeful sign (unless it was just an effort to get you off his back). But it takes most of us (I'm eight years sober and have been married to two alcoholics--one of whom is now sober 37 years and the other who went back to drinking) a few tries and maybe several years to finally succeed. I spent four years trying to "control" my drinking after I was willing to admit there was a problem, so just the fact that he's trying to STOP is, as I said, somewhat encouraging.

You don't have to decide anything permanent this minute. As honeypig said, none of us has a crystal ball, so it's hard to say what the future holds. The more you focus on your own well-being, though, and the less you try to manage his recovery (or his drinking, if this first effort isn't successful), the better off you will be.