View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
honeypig

Hi, TheHopeful, and welcome to SR. Glad you found us here, and glad you've already taken the opportunity to do some reading around the forum.

As you've probably gathered from your reading, there is not a single thing you can do that will make his efforts at recovery either succeed or fail. That is all on him. I hope you both understand that simply taking the meds (Antabuse is the common name) is not going to be any kind of long-term solution to the problem. Simply removing the alcohol from his life won't make everything hunky dory, as you've probably gleaned from your reading here. He will need a plan and support, either through AA or some other form of counseling/therapy/rehab.

Enough about him--what are you doing for yourself? Coming here is an excellent first step, and I'd like to encourage you to check into Alanon, too (AA and Alanon are 2 different entities--AA for the alcoholic, Alanon for family/spouse/friends). While he is the one w/the drinking problem, you've been affected by living w/the craziness. It's also likely that you have some issues of your own that got you into and kept you in the situation, too.

Keep reading, keep posting, and give Alanon a try. Oh--and take it one day at a time. I know you want a crystal ball right now, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that...

Wishing you strength and clarity, TheHopeful!