View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheHopeful

How to be supportive and non-judgemental

Hi everyone,

I'm new here although I've been reading through the different threads on this forum for a few weeks now and it's been very helpful.

My boyfriend of 7 years has finally (after two years of alcohol abuse) decided to try to get sober. He was prescribed him diazepam for the alcohol withdrawals and anxiety, and today is the second day of no alcohol. So obviously it's still too early say what is going to happen.

I'm looking for insights or experiences from others who have gone through this. Obviously I have some difficulty believing that he's really going to change, there are lots of trust issues and probably some resentment from my side because of all the things that have already happened in the past.

I'm trying to work on my own codependency issues, and not focus too much on his issues, but it's constantly on my mind and I have not been able to sleep due to worrying about whether or not this will work, because if it doesn't I don't think we will be able to salvage our relationship.

Anyway, sorry for being long winded, I just wanted to express my feelings somewhere, it somehow feels good to write it all down.