View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
GaryB1

Hi Kaily, how are you today?

In the Rational Recovery book New Cure for Substance Addiction Trimpey describes being addicted to something as being in two minds about using (ie doing something against your better judgement, or a reversal of what you intended to do). This is different from chemical dependence, where you have a dependence on a substance but aren't in two minds, you like doing it and you don't want to stop, whatever the consequences you think it's worth it.

Drinking does have its rewards ( a rush of pleasure and intoxication ) or you wouldn't have kept doing it in the first place. If I gave you a cup of sea water to drink, with only nasty consequences for drinking it, you wouldn't accept another drink of that lol. But you know there are nasty consequences to drinking alcohol as well, just not as immediate. First comes the pleasure (and thats what the Beasts aim is, pleasure, getting that rush of pleasure is the reason IT exists). After IT gets you to deliver that substance, and keep delivering (ITs never satisfied) ITs job is done. But for you it doesn't end there. You have to deal with the consequences of mental impairment and loss of control of both thought and actions along with the pleasure. Then long after the pleasure has worn off, you have to deal with the consequences of drinking a poisonous substance and the aftermath of the intoxication.

If you truly want to stop drinking, then you will always be in two minds, because the Beast will never want to stop. IT feels you/IT will die without alcohol (there is no division between you and IT from ITs stance). This is where AVRT comes in. You make your Big Plan. That is your stance Iwill never drink again and I will never change my mind . Any suggestion of reversing this stance is Beast activity. You separate yourself from IT. Now you are in one mind, your mind. And by recognizing any thoughts or feelings that suggest drinking, and dismissing them as Beast activity (ie the AV) you will stay in the one mind...yours