View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Rphaire View Post
AA has not improved it's message, program and does not lend it's self to research on it's primary purpose since 1939. Yet every other specialty in medicine and psychology has, to me that represents arrogance, pride and disrespect to the members that it was design to help. Further more it has left it self open to ridicule about it's ignorance from refusing to keep an open minded attitude to what's better in recovery, there for it no longer knows as much about alcoholism and addiction as much as Rehab programs that take advantage of new methods from the latest research. I use to love AA so much at one time, I even got my CASAC, really gave a lot of my time and energy to it, but for some time it has hurt me in ways that researchers are talking about from their research about AA's repetitiousness and rehashing old stuff constantly being harmful. At some point everyone should move away from that stuff after it has been worked out by the member through the steps and sometimes therapy. The program in my opinion has changed so much since my earlier days and not for the better. In recent times I started attending Alanon Meetings and I used AA as my qualifier and I kind of felt better, it had advanced so much since the earlier days, yet AA is still in the dark ages. I'd much rather be living my life away from the program than being cooped up in a meeting. It did what it said it would do if I allowed it, it bridged me back to life!!!

I'd really like to hear from you all out there, Thank you and God bless you!
I highlighted a few parts of your message for a few reasons. As a dedicated AA-er and someone almost 14 months sober, here is my take on both my (and the) program and your comments.

AA doesn't need to change - note, you wrote in one part that it hasn't then later that it has, much to its detriment - because it works.

AA is not about continually rehashing the past - once you work the steps, living in 1, 10 and 12 is what I have seen modeled by "those who have what I want" and what I strive to do each day. I know plenty of people who have "done multiple step 4s" and such, and they have consistently said is that doing so helped them flesh out and flush out things that hadn't come up in previous versions; then those were put aside - we are not to be abject or genuflecting forgiveness seekers (paraphrase BB, 4th ed) nor continue to regret the past (not shutting the door on it doesn't mean to continually dwell on things but to take regular/as needed note so that we don't forget that "what it was like then" part).

For me, and for many I see, other things like therapy are excellent additions to my AA program, and I am a reader and learner and believe that all info is helpful. It doesn't have to counter, so to speak, a program that I know works for me. Whatever works to keep someone sober AND living a great life of recovery is fine by me. I use a toolbox, as my dr calls it, of meds, AA, therapy, religion and such to stay sober.

Many use the "old fashioned" and such accusations as one (of many) reasons to discount or not follow the AA program. THE program is what endures; I am just a person with my individual form of alcoholism. As far as exposure to ridicule - well, throughout eternity "systems" have been discredited mocked, ridiculed, etc and as far as AA goes- that isn't relevant to its primary purpose, to carry the message to the alcoholic who still suffers. As others have noted, individual group change can happen through the group conscious aspect- I believe that's why you find variations on the core theme in different mtgs (ex: my home group states "we don't read the 12 steps and traditions but we practice them" as part of its intro; the big clubhouse I go to does read "how it works," and the steps and traditions aloud at every meeting (OD, closed, womens, 12&12, etc). Worrying about current society's judgment just isn't germane to AA's whole mission.

Just my $0.02+.....lastly, I'd also say that it's super you have been sober so long. Why question what worked for you to get sober - so adamantly?