View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Originally Posted by RebelJedi View Post
Let me just preface this by saying AA is a great program. However, as the book says, it doesn't help everyone which is why AA "has no monopoly on recovery".

I would be one that it hasn't worked for despite working the steps and having sponsors.

I've tried different meetings and been in the "rooms" since 2002.

It is time to try other methods because the important thing is getting sober, not how.

I've been going to Refuge Recovery and SMART recovery meetings and find that they are more helpful for me.

I have no problems with the steps and most of the advice. I just don't understand why one should read the basic text on a daily basis. Seems there are other worthy books to read instead of rehashing the same info... As Bill Sees It, Just for Today for example. Even non-AA literature helps me as it presents new info.

Perhaps I don't understand. How much of the basic text are they suggesting to be read a day? A page? A chapter? I guess a page wouldn't take up too much time but there are other recovery tasks in my day that I can't spend the entire day reading.
There is a secular section here on SR with lots of good information on alternatives to AA that you might find useful to your journey. There are discussions about SMART and Refuge Recovery. Come join us!