View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post

And so a conflict has developed between my former and my new beliefs. I still feel to a large extent that I don't have much power of choice about drinking but I can at least choose to come on here and I have found the advice and experience on offer really helpful. So thanks everyone!
I have found choice a redundant concept when it comes to drink. Today I have about as much choice to drink as I used to have not to drink. That is none at all.

The AA program is very clear on this aspect of alcoholism and it is something I identify strongly with, as it matches my experience.

"There was a tremendous urge to cease forever. Yet we found it impossible. This is the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it-this utter inability to leave it alone no matter how great the necessity or the wish."

"Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he, nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power."

"Whether such a person can stop on a nonspiritual basis depends upon the extent to which he has already lost the power to choose whether he will drink or not"