View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
August252015

What Mbob said.

At 13 months and change, my family is at the one year point he describes. All I can do is keep giving them reasons to trust it and keep my side of the street sober and clean. Some relationships might never be what they "could have been" (I am thinking of mine with my brother) but they are mended enough to move to a better place than they were, and the responsibility is mine to do my part and let him do is, in this instance.

One thing the BB does say is that we (alcoholics) are not meant to be servile or scraping. IMO and IME this means that as we gain trust and live good sober lives, we do gain the right to have boundaries around expectations (ex- answers about where we've been, or what we've been doing) others' may hang on to about us. An example I'd use of this is being accountable to my mom via text when I got home from a late shift at the restaurant - theoretically so she'd know I was ok and sober, but really just part of the dance of her knowing (if she believed me) that I was alive. Now, I don't owe her nightly answers for any reason.

Ultimately, time takes time for .... everything.